Sunday, February 2, 2020

The Heart of the Matter



There’s a first time for everything - this is my (Jane) first time posting about something that is bothering me, but just felt the need to. I have been grappling with what’s been happening in America for the last 4 years. Living in Africa for the last year and a half has kept me at a distance. Where I am right now, the politics of America are rarely talked about. To be honest, there’s more important things here to discuss. But I read the news and I wrestle. In December, when I was in the US, a couple of conversations regarding the last presidential election really surprised me. I was taken aback at the intensity of “If you are a Christian, you should have voted for Donald Trump” and “If you didn’t, you will have to account to God for it”. Wow. Those statements were quite shocking to me. Voting for or against President Trump, I believe, was/is a very complex issue. I question the fact that some people seem to have dealt with the complexities so easily and seem to have discerned all the answers. It concerns me that some Christians have aligned themselves so closely with President Trump, that they have alienated those who haven’t. And vice versa. I have not changed my core beliefs, I still consider myself a conservative Christian. Some of the things President Trump has done while in office I applaud, some I abhor. And I wrestle with that.  

Today, worshipping in an African Church, God helped me with my struggle. It was a reminder really. A Kenyan preacher talked about divisions among Christians. Believe it or not, he referenced what is happening in America between the Republicans and the Democrats. That got my attention! I was challenged with what he said that we, as Christians, must listen to each other and respect each other. We must strive for unity as Christ wishes and, above all, love. There must be room for discussion and a realization that not every Christian is going to view things in the same way. Amen! I believe there are core beliefs that are not debatable, i.e. Christ is the only way to salvation. But there are also views on other topics that lead to discussions. Bible interpretation, traditions, background and culture play a part in those views and discussions. The issues surrounding President Trump, his actions and his policies, are complex. We (Christians) have differing views regarding those actions and policies. There’s room for lots of discussion. How we treat each other during those discussions and how we view others with differing opinions should be affected by the Biblical principles of humility, unity and love. 

On our walk today after the rain, we discovered the heart shaped puddle that is pictured.  What a wonderful reminder! I know I will continue to struggle with what is happening in American politics. I know I will continue to question motives and decisions made. I know I will continue to seek God’s discernment. I pray I will be respectful of others opinions and views and, above all, that I will LOVE.

2 comments:

The Heart of the Matter

There’s a first time for everything - this is my (Jane) first time posting about something that is bothering me, but just felt the ...